Advertisement

Poison Information

11 Things Your Cat Should NEVER Eat

Do you have cat that will eat everything in sight? Some of your “people food” is perfectly safe for cats (in small quantities) but you should be aware of the many foods in your fridge or pantry that can cause significant health problems if your cat eats them:

Onions, Garlic and Chives

Onions, Garlic & Chives

All members of the onion family contain compounds that can damage cats’ red blood cells. And, cooking does not destroy the toxin. It’s uncommon for cats to eat enough raw onions to do any damage, but be careful with dehydrated onions, garlic, soup mixes, etc.

 

Milk and Dairy Foods

Milk & Dairy Foods

Milk and dairy foods contain lactose, which many cats surprisingly have trouble digesting. The result can be diarrhea or an upset stomach. If your cat is lactose intolerant, you’ll see symptoms within 12-24 hours.

 

Dog Food

Dog Food
Cats and dogs have very different nutritional needs. Dog food lacks Vitamin A, Taurine, certain fatty acids and protein levels that cats require in their diets. Plus, dog food will probably make your cat fat.

 

Candy and Gum

Candy & Gum

Many candies include xylitol, which is highly toxic to dogs – and we’re unsure if it’s also toxic to cats. Also, cats do not have the receptors to be able to taste sweets – so what’s the point of giving it to them?

 

Cooked Bones

Cooked Bones

Raw, uncooked bones are great for cats’ dental health and many raw-fed cats eat a diet that includes bones every day. But never feed cooked bones as these may splinter and cause internal damage or become an intestinal obstruction.

 

Caffeine

Caffeine

While 1-2 laps of coffee, tea or soda will not contain enough caffeine to cause poisoning in most cats, the ingestion of moderate amounts of coffee grounds, tea bags or 1-2 diet pills can easily cause death in cats. It can cause hyperactivity, high blood pressure, vomiting, elevated heart rate, and could lead to death.

 

Dough

Dough

The warm, moist environment of a cat’s stomach provides an ideal environment for the yeast in raw dough to expand in the stomach. Expansion of the stomach can be severe enough to decrease blood flow to the stomach wall and affect breathing. The yeast also metabolizes as alchohol and can cause serious toxicity in your cat.

 

Alcohol

Alcohol

Cats are far more sensitive to alcohol than humans are. Even drinking a small amount of a product containing alcohol can cause significant intoxication. Cats are often attracted to mixed drinks that contain milk, cream or ice cream. Intoxication usually causes vomiting, loss of coordination, disorientation and lethargy.

 

Chocolate

Chocolate

The compounds in chocolate that are toxic are caffeine and theobromine. These compounds cause stimulation of the heart and nervous system. The rule of thumb with chocolate is “the darker it is, the more dangerous it is.” If your cat ingests chocolate, he should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.

 

Grapes and Raisins

Grapes & Raisins

The toxicity of grapes and raisins has mainly been found in dogs. However, the ASPCA advises: “As there are still many unknowns with the toxic potential of grapes and raisins, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center advises not giving grapes or raisins to pets in any amount.”

 

Human Medicine

Human Medicine

Common household medications, like aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen can be severely toxic to cats. Never, ever, give your cat human medication unless strictly advised by a veterinarian.

 

Pet Poison Helpline

Pet Poison Helpline

If you suspect your cat ate something poisonous, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately. The sooner a cat poisoning is diagnosed, the easier, less expensive, and safer it is to treat your pet. Pet Poison Helpline is available 24/7 by calling 800-213-6680.

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Marilyn Hallett

    May 14, 2016 at 9:53 am

    I have a flame point siamese and he likes coffee he dips his paw in then shakes it then licks ,he also does this with beer, he recently ate the fern that came with my mothers day flowers from my grandsons but I stopped him eating it because I didn’t know if it would hurt him . He is a strictly indoor cat he has only been outside three times twice to the vet and once because our apartment building became infested with cockroaches . The little girl that comes over has fed him chocolate but a very small amount and pickles . He is now 8yrs. and weighs around 25 lbs. he does not drink milk even when he was little he refused to drink it. He loves to sit in the tub and drink water from the spout rather than from the water fountain dish I bought for him and he like a dish ofr crunchy food most times and soft food about twice a week but only 1 tsp. he wont eat more than that he lets it go dry if I give him more . But can you tell me are orchids bad for him he keeps trying to eat mine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Just when this dog-eat-dog world has handed you all the poop you can take, it's time to walk the dog. Or wash the dog. Or feed the dog. You get the idea. So welcome to the world of easy-to-care-for cats. Entertainment comes bundled in a furry, huggable, self-cleaning cat who won't beg for your food. In his eyes, you don't eat well enough anyway. Just keep a laser pen handy, sit back and wait for the fun to begin! Cats...ya gotta love 'em.

Become a Contributor!

Copyright © 2016 Catington Post.

To Top
shares
Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest cat news, recalls, and kitty contests!

You have Successfully Subscribed!