Behavior

Jackson Galaxy Says: Stop Using a Squirt Bottle to Discipline Your Cat!

It’s widely believed that spraying a cat with a squirt bottle when he’s doing something you don’t want is an acceptable and effective means of disciplining and teaching him to stop unwanted behaviors. This is totally wrong! In fact, spraying your cat with water does nothing but harm your relationship with your cat!

Sure, it may get your cat to stop doing what he’s doing at that moment, but does it teach him anything? No. Animal Planet’s “Cat Daddy” Jackson Galaxy explains and gives some alternatives that actually do work!

1. Mary Ann Ray

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:44 pm

Hello Jackson I have two cats. One is a talker he is male he is also a very jealous male who is neutered. My other cat I just got is a female kitten who is very bossy, but she doesn’t talk. I need suggestions for how to discipline them both without causing jealous behavior and tactics. I love both my cats. One is fixed and the other isn’t please give me some advice!!! 407-914-5742

2. Kathy

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Get the other one fixed and you’ll see a huge improvement.

3. Zoe Davis

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:05 am

Thanks for the great article.

I’ll put these great cat spraying tips to work right away.

Another thing that is really helping my cat overcome his spraying is this:

Thanks again!

4. Oscara

Sep 21, 2017 at 5:39 pm

I don’t know, Jackson. It worked very well for my guy, who kept trying to poke his paws into the fly wheel on my Nordic Trac. It was the only thing that worked, and he LOVED to hop in the shower with me.

5. shell

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:47 pm

I understand that the squirt bottle doesn’t work when you’re not around, but it does keep the cat from jumping up while you’re eating or making food on the counter. My cat never hated me for it. After some time, we didn’t even use a squirt bottle and she would respond to a “get down” or simply moving towards her. I also don’t see how the water hurts them anymore than a skirt of air or stickiness. All of that is uncomfortable at worst. I see those methods as superior ONLY because the cat associates it with the counter & not you. However, you are the one who installs it and it is still using association with an unpleasant experience to train the cat.

6. Rose

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:47 pm

I’ve always used a spray bottle and a stern “no” to keep cats off the kitchen countertops and table. My cats are very loving and I don’t think this has harmed our relationship at all. They know they are loved but mommy is boss.

7. Erica

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:39 pm

I used watergun on my 2 neutered male cats who fought daily for months when I started using a watergun, it took a few direct water hits and they learned to stop fighting the second they saw gun, more time passed now they love each other. it worked perfectly! Now I have a very smart puppy who draws blood with almost every play bite. Training treats stop the bite if you have them,Same with a toy for the redirect if you have one in reach but this doesn’t stop the biting. Why would it, this is how puppies play and explore the world. I feel I have no choice but to lock her in a crate or try spray bottle if she bites a person? I’m home almost 24/7 so i feel a crate isn’t fair and she’ll just whine anyway. I also sprayed bitter deterrent on my legs and she licked it off then bit. So that doesn’t work either. I don’t see how a water bottle can hurt a relationship, biting will get her hurt or worse if she does enough damage. If anyone has ideas I’m open to suggestions. Only thing I’m finding online is redirect which isn’t always feasible. I can’t have small children around her until this is resolved. She’s an 11week old German Shepherd is very smart and knows sit, come, lay down and shake. Again any guidance or suggestions welcome. Otw I’m going to try spray bottle. Thanks

8. Jennifer Sexton

Jan 30, 2018 at 2:18 pm

How do I get my kitten to stop biting my family. He doesn’t just play bite, he bites frequently when we pet him. It’s becoming more of a thing when he’s moody. We don’t play with him with our hands anymore, but when we first got him my husband did a little. How can we get him to stop biting at this point?