Front Page News

Anyone Recognize this Cat Thief Caught on Camera?

Photo: Elizabeth Sides, KGW

Photo: Elizabeth Sides, KGW

Sevi the cat disappeared from her Newberg, Oregon home last week. Her owner, Elizabeth Sides, thought a coyote had gotten the 1-and-a-half-year-old Ragamuffin kitty, but wanted closure, so she turned to her surveillance camera to be sure.

What she saw left her utterly shocked.

A woman pulls into her driveway, parks her car, and then can be seen (at around the 1-minute mark) on camera talking to Sevi, petting her, and then – putting her in the backseat of her car and driving away!

Sides posted the video on Facebook Monday afternoon and pleaded for help identifying the thief. She said, “We just want our baby girl back. I can’t stop crying.”

In an interview with KGW, Sides said,

“Who does that? It gave me hope that she wasn’t attacked, but she needs to be home. What this woman did was wrong. Sevi doesn’t know anything but this area. This is her world. It was wrong of her to take her.”

Sides said she filed a police report. Anyone with information should call Newberg police at (503) 538-8321.

1. Della Williamson

Jun 27, 2017 at 2:06 pm

That is really sad. Sorry people like that abound. Which is why my pets are indoor only. When outside to play or potty I am right there. After reading of how people throw things at animals and such. When I was on my own and adopted pets. I keep them inside.

2. Rhonda Clark

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Take a still screenshot of the back of the car and then enlarge it to see if you can read the license plate. Cops should have done this..if not, show it to them. There is no reason this woman cannot be traced.

• Linda Collard

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:43 pm

I tried to read her plate but it’s too blurry…. That bitch, I would find her and do her some real harm if that were my Jesse. Looks like the kind of area where a cat would be relatively safe outside, but I would still keep him indoors. My cat never, ever goes outside and he doesn’t seem to miss it.

3. DM

Jul 1, 2017 at 1:51 pm

Knowing there’s coyotes in your neighborhood, why in the world would you let a gorgeous cat (or any cat, for that matter) outside and open to harm? It breaks my heart because some people just never learn. I hope you find your cat alive and well, and I hope you never let her out again.

• Judy

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Totally agree. And the cat should be microchipped. If she stole it for a pet when they take it to the vet, he’s going to check for a chip.

4. Melissa Odom

Jul 1, 2017 at 6:31 pm

That plate can be read. You will have a name & address then. Goodluck.