Feline Diseases

A Breakthrough in Treating Cats with FIP

FIP, or Feline Infectious Peritonitis, is a viral disease that affects cats. It is a progressive disease that is almost always fatal.

Until now.

ThinkstockPhotos-455695827According to a paper published in the journal PLOS ONE, researchers from Kansas State University describe their success with an antiviral treatment for FIP that inhibits the virus from replicating and actually stops the the disease from progressing. Not only did they stop FIP in it’s tracks, the cats that received the treatment, who were almost guaranteed to die of FIP, returned to normal post-treatment.

FIP occurs when the Feline Corona Virus (FECV) mutates to feline infectious peritonitis virus (FIPV) in a cat and starts to replicate in the cat’s cells. It’s not known what causes this mutation in the first place but it occurs in about 1 in 5,000 cats and can be transmitted to other cats through contact and exposure to feces in litter boxes.

Once the virus becomes FIP, the most common result is a “wet” form of the disease, resulting in fluid buildup in the abdomen, fever, jaundice and weight loss. There is no cure for FIP, and once these symptoms appear, death follows in a matter of weeks to months.

According to Discovery News, researchers have been able to successfully reverse the progress of the deadly disease:

“This is the first time we showed experimental evidence of successful treatment of laboratory cats at an advanced clinical stage of FIP,” said study lead Yunjeong Kim, an associate professor in KSU’s diagnostic medicine and pathobiology department.

“We found that antiviral treatment led to full recovery of cats when treatment was started at a stage of disease that would be otherwise fatal if left untreated,” scientists wrote in their paper.

However, after being treated, the cats made full recoveries within 20 days!

What happens next? Since all the cats in the study had been given FIP in a laboratory setting, scientists will now test the new treatment on cats who acquired the disease naturally.

1. Alexandra

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:23 am

Give the treatment to shelters! We’ve suffered through too many FIP deaths.

• Josh

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:21 pm

It’s probably going to be an expensive drug. I have treated my cats infected with a deadly strain with 100% survival rate. Please don’t euthanize a cat before trying this: http://joshpmck.wixsite.com/fiptreatmentcats/how-the-treatment-works

• tracy

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:45 am

This link does not work. My cat was diagnosed yesterday.

• Michelle

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:18 pm

My kitten was diagnosed yesterday as well. I’m just beyond myself in heart break. It is so, so sad. Please help!

• Michelle

Jun 5, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Today, I brought my kitten to a internal specialist She did an ultra sound. His little belly full of fluid because of this horrible virus. I had to make the heart breaking decision of putting him down. Please, I beg the vets to please find a cure for this horrible virus.

2. Nancy

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:51 am

1 in 5,000 cats- that number is not accurate. We’ve seen way to many unrelated cases of FIP 🙁

3. Pam Jackson

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:51 am

Inaccurate article. While coronavirus is transmitted primarily via contact with feces, the mutated FIP virus is NOT believed to be transmissible from cat to cat. Failed to mention P15 and P16, two poor nameless cats who were sacrificed prior to getting the trial drug because they became so ill from the illness they were deliberately infected with. RIP P15 and P16.

• ANNA

Apr 15, 2016 at 1:24 am

I AGREE WITH NEED THIS TREATMENT TESTED IN SHELTERS AND CATTERIES. AND 1 IN 5000 SEEMS A WRONG NUMBER WE SEE THIS EVERYWHERE AND YES ONCE A CAT HAS IT AND PASSES IT ALONG TO OTHER CATS IN SAME SETTING SHELTER FOSTER ETC……. SO YES LETS GIVE THIS A TRIAL AT SHELTERS I THINK THIS WOULD THEN BE ONE OF THE BETTER STUDIES .

4. Susan Robinson

Apr 16, 2016 at 2:00 am

Isn’t it about time we end the experiments on cats and dogs and treat them the way children are treated through medical trials? It is absolutely despicable that scientists intentionally infect cats and dogs with diseases or injuries to experiment on them. Many if not most people now consider their cats and dogs to be family members almost like children. A survey last New Year’s Eve found that most people would rather stay home with their dogs or cats than go out to celebrate the new year with other people. The homeless won’t go to shelters when their pets cannot come with them. Our cats and dogs deserve better than what the tunnel-visioned scientists have been doing.

• Captain Obvious

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:38 am

Yes, but the by time medical trials are used on humans, they have already been tested on animals. By your logic, we should use human volunteers, I assume that you will be on the top of that list? You people bitch about trials, but the only knowledge you have of them comes from air head celebrities.

5. Cheryl

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:14 am

So sad you are trialling this on cats that didn’t aquire FIP ‘naturally’
    Shame on you for infecting healthy cats in a laboratory environment
    RIP poor kitty’s

• Pamela Gruno

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:12 pm

True,BS,Infecting Cats That are healthy!!!

6. Donna Fischer

May 18, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I just had to put my 6 month old rescued kitten to sleep from FIP!

7. Mischvus

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:35 am

How about instead of infecting healthy animals, you test it on the poor animals that are going to die without it? If there was any chance of saving my little Samantha, I would have tried it. RIP <3

• Cathy Conrad

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:23 pm

My sentiments exactly! My very beloved cat Claire died yesterday of the wet form of FIP. I tried my best to find a way to get her in a clinical trial. Or the drug itself. Yes I know there would have been risk involved. Better than death for certain from FIP. No dice, and experimenters I emailed seemed very annoyed to hear from so many cat owners!!

• Latricia

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:40 am

1). I LOVE YOUR OVERSIZED SUAG)NSSES!2L. That skirt is a classic summer piece that can easily transition into Fall (and even Winter!)3). Love the pop of shocking pink in this look.4). I miss reading your blog!Hope all is well 😉

• AAAAAHHH!! I still need a reflex hammer and a thermometer!! Pweeze, does anyone have those?You can have: Band-Aid, Stethoscope, Cone, Invisible Guitar, Invisible Sandwich, Broccoli, Goldfish, Cardboard Box, Laser Pointer or Toy Mouse! KTHX!

• kredit ohne einkommen deutschland

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:58 am

Euh…Excusez-moi, mais en ce qui me concerne, MICROSOFT est un étage COMPLET de la pyramide. Je ne me pose même pas la question de l’infiltration.Microsoft EST (aussi) le Nouvel Ordre Mondial. –

• Charla

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:23 am

Ca me donne presque la larme à l’oeil, si, si!C’est vraiment beau ce que tu as écris. Tes amis ont beaucoup de chance d’avoir une amie comme toi, Gr!oluiloetteeBisnus

• Dana

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:06 am

Mine, right now. She’s 15… and it’s horrible if they’re doing this to cats that are healthy but my other question is and I don’t know if anyone would know this but my puppy continues to eat her infected poop and it’s driving me crazy and I keep wondering if she’s going to get sick from the cat poop???

8. Candy S.

Aug 8, 2016 at 6:42 am

Testing on healthy animals who are infected on purpose is never easy in order to find a cure, but were these cats that would have been euthanized because of whatever reason? Just curious. I recently had one of my personal kitties die of FIP; totally blind-sided, even though I do rescue and have seen way too many kittens die of this disease.

Right now I have one kitty with dry form FIP who I’d love to see get into a trial. Where do we sign up?

• Josh

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Please contact me if your kitten has any secondary infections. If the third eyelid is showing or you can feel any enlarged nodes (throat, hock, etc.) I will be happy to send you details of the treatment. Please read this: http://joshpmck.wixsite.com/fiptreatmentcats/how-the-treatment-works

• Laura Denise Kish

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:42 am

The link doesn’t work. How do we contact you?

9. S.A.N.

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:46 am

It was unnecessary to deliberately induce FIP in a lab setting. There are plenty of cats who have aquired it naturally that could have been used…. those who would have died anyway and may have had a chance with the new anti-viral medication.

10. Connie

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:09 am

While none of us like the idea of cats being given a fatal disease, this is really the only way to rule out variables and have the appropriate number of cats at the right stage of disease to properly test the treatment. Cats who acquire FIP ‘naturally’ are often misdiagnosed, and to get a proper diagnosis of FIP requires a biopsy (or necropsy after death)

fortunately, in this case, the treatment worked and the cats survived. I hope they were adopted out to loving homes after this.

I do wish you would correct the article that states that FIP is contagious. It has been proven that it is not. Corona is and highly so but once it mutates it is not.

• Michelle

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:40 pm

Please let me sign up for this anti viral drug. I lost my cat with kidney failure this past year. I recently got a new kitten who was diagnosed with FIP.I am so heartbroken. These are my children since I could not have any children because my health conditions. Please help!!!