Front Page News

Freeway Cat’s Heroic Roadside Rescue

When a man noticed a cat in the middle of the freeway in Phoenix, Arizona this week, he was appalled that several calls to Animal Control and the Humane Society for help had gone completely ignored. Ignored for over 6 hours, in fact. So the good samaritan, Richard Christianson decided to save the poor cat himself.

“Just did what I thought we all should be doing,” Christianson explained.

Here’s a video Christianson took before he rescued the cat:
After rescuing the cat from the freeway, our good samaritan took him to the Humane Society where he’ll be treated for dehydration and wounds. Christianson says he’ll be calling and checking up on the cat.

In response to several people thanking Christianson for his act of kindness to the helpless kitty, he said:

I don’t know how the cat ended up on the freeway I can only guess or assume maybe someone threw it there or it chased a bird or maybe a dog chased it out there all I know it was in trouble and I did what I could to help like I would for any animal or human or space creature.

Imagine, people passed by this cat for more than 6 hours before this man stopped to help. The world needs more people like Richard Christianson.

1. kelly

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Very proud of you, Richard Christianson, although I have no idea who you are!

Now, could more people take a leaf from him and make this a better world?

2. Heather

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:38 pm

That poor cat it’s so sad that so many turned their backs but he had an angel to look out for him. Thank you for being a good human being.

3. Lisa

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:39 pm

God Bless you Sir!!!! Wish there were more people like you in the world! Thank you for saving that poor baby.

4. Sheri

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you kind sir!!!!!!!!!!

5. linda

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Thank you for being a savior to this cat. Maybe that’s why you have Christ in your name.

6. natascha

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:02 pm

thnxx for saving that poor little cat , god bless you

7. debsf

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:38 pm

That is one lucky cat who had a human guardian angel rescue him , thank you so much for caring enough to help him. xx

8. marie steffani

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Thank you richard n god bless you for saving that precious baby.I wldve done the same. :-)♥

9. suzanna murphy

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Thank you so much for caring for that little frightened creature, that was so hopeless…. you saved it and brought hope back into its life… I do so want to hear that it has found a home. God bless you.

10. Joann Temple

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Thank you for doing what you could to say this helpless cat now has hope. I wish everyone would start caring a bit more for other people, animals, or space creatures, other than themselves

11. Dawn

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:05 am

Chris you are awesome!!! Great job!!! God bless you for having such heart!! There should be more people in this world lie you (hugs)

12. kandi knaff

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:33 am

It breaks my heart to see an animal suffer. What you did for that precious kitty was pure love. I Thank God for you.

13. Keith

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:00 am

Thanks.

14. eduvina

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:35 am

Thank you for helping your video made me cry may God bless you guy!

15. trudy taylor

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:11 pm

thank god you stopped to help that cat. he sure had a guardian angel that day!. too bad more people can’t or won’t do the same for others.

16. Connie

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Richard helped a poor helpless animal when no one else would. You are truly a very beautiful human being. Thank you from all animals lovers everywhere!

17. Marisa dicicco

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Hope she loses her license, she is s horrible example
    Of what a veterinarian should be: healing and compassion for Animals.

18. P.D. Wood

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:20 am

Likely some heartless creep tossed the poor cat out on the freeway so it would get hit by a car. With the injury it had, it probably did get hit. I hope the poor creature is better now, and gets to have a good life with someone who will care for it. It waited a long time for a decent, caring person to help it and one finally came and rescued it. Thank you God, for sending the nice man to rescue this kitty. Thank you Richard for caring when so many did not take the time or make an effort. You are a wonderful person and I wish good things for you in the future.

19. Christine

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:30 am

20. kerry wholey

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:09 am

murderer…and so,is the idioc Vet..she deserves what she goy! Killers both of Them

21. kerry wholey

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:10 am

22. ELAYNA

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Richard Christianson, thank you for showing others what a REAL MAN is!!!!

23. peggy mckita

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Bless you Richard for helping this poor baby. You are truly a angel.

24. Claire Cutshaw

Apr 23, 2015 at 4:10 pm

You have a good heart, Mr. Christianson! Broke my heart to know this poor baby was so scared it tried to chew through a metal fence. To see it’s poor tortured mouth and the blood everywhere just tore me up. I love all animals, but cats hold a special place in my heart. Thank you for showing the world how a human being should act, and God bless you! Can we get an update on how this baby is doing? I want to see an ‘after’ picture!

25. BETTY &JULIE WELLS

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:09 am

THANK U FOR SAVING THAT KITTIE….I HAVE CATS OF MY OWN AND IT BROKE MY HEART TO SEE THAT KITTIE SITTING THERE I WOULD HAVE HELP IT TO IF I WOULD HAVE BEEN THERE….THANK U AND GOD BLESS U …..BETTY &JULIE