Adoption

Los Angeles Permanently Bans the Sale of Non-Rescue Cats & Dogs

Because of a vote by the Los Angeles City Council on Wednesday, LA is now the largest city to have a ban on the sale of cats, dogs, and rabbits acquired from commercial breeders.

Pet shops will not be allowed to sell commercially bred cats, dogs, or rabbits.

Pet shops will not be allowed to sell commercially bred cats, dogs, or rabbits.

Under the new law, individuals can still buy animals from breeders if they want to, but retails shops cannot sell them – they are only permitted to adopt out animals that come from shelters, humane societies and registered rescue groups. This new ordinance was designed to target puppy mills and backyard breeders, and also to cut down on the vast number of animals that are euthanized in LA shelters every year.

A temporary ban had been in place in Los Angeles since 2013 and was set to end, but City Council voted to make it a permanent ban instead, in response to a huge push from animal activists in the area.

Los Angeles is not the only city to ban the sale of bred animals, however. Click here to see a list of all the cities that have enacted a retail pet sale ban.

1. Donna

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:41 pm

I understand why they did it and all, and I’m for rescuing completely, I have a rescue dog. But still, somehow this seems a little unconstitutional, doesn’t it? Pet stores should be able to sell what they want to. I don’t think if I were a pet store, I’d like the government telling me what I can and can’t sell. There must be some other way to handle the puppy mill situation. It’s like they are saying, well, we can’t do our job and catch all the criminals, so let’s go after the honest citizens! That part is total crap to me. Am I alone here?

• Ga'elwyn

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:04 pm

Laws have been regulating what can and can’t be sold in pet stores for years. For instance, you can’t buy a panda. This is not unconstitutional, the constitution clearly gives any powers not expressly given to the federal government to the state, and so long as the state does not have legislation forbidding localities from restricting the sale of certain animals, then this is perfectly legal. It’s more like the city is saying, let’s get rid of the consumers of the ill gotten goods – in this case pet stores, and that should stop the criminals – in this case puppy mills, since they won’t have a market. But to be clear, this isn’t going to get rid of breeding, and private individuals will still be able to buy bred animals on their own, just not through a third party. This is actually much better, as it will force the potential buyers (at least in theory) to be exposed to the conditions that those animals are being bred in. And, since there will no longer be a bulk market for puppies, hopefully this will encourage the breeders to breed fewer animals, which should reduce the overall number of animals at shelters.

• b

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:08 pm

thank you for explaining it in simple language. I am a huge animal lover. I just did not understand how it would stop animal suffering but, you explained it well.

• Sammie

May 1, 2016 at 11:08 am

yes thanks… great explanation

• al smith

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:25 pm

you obviously do not understand supply and demand and a free market they is huge market for puppies .. and that is why you see all of the “shelters” transporting them around the country and actually asking to buy unwanted litters.. now dos that sound to you like a good idea?

• al smith

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:35 pm

a panda is an endangered species a dog is not Commercial breeder dogs are not “ill gotten goods” Private individuals will NOT be breeding dogs in LA as they have a mandatory spay/neuter in place for dogs as for lowering the number of animals in shelties it has already happened.. dogs ( and even cats0 are shipped across the country daily in trucks to be sold in places where they “need product” to sell in shelters these dogs come from unknown sources with no known history and from people who have NO experience in animal husbandry.. this is they typeof dogs you supporters of the bans want.. so when you are attacked by your “rescue dog” or your dog has some horrible unknown disease you have only yourselves to blame

• Sthrngypsy

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:23 pm

Actually, what will happen (and was already happening) is that the smuggling of puppies, and to a lesser extent kittens, across the border will increase. The conditions the smugglers keep the puppies in make “puppy mills” look like Disneyland. Pandas are illegal to own, and thus illegal to sell – cats and dogs are not.

• Julie

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:07 pm

I have some real concerns about the way California, and indeed much of the US, is going. First we were compelled to buy car insurance (funny how the guy that hit me still didn’t have it), then we were compelled to buy health insurance (didn’t work either), now we are paying for all sorts of benefits for people from foreign countries (again, compelled to accept), now we’re being told what pets we must purchase?? This is a worrisome trend. Whatever happened to America, the land of opportunity…the land of the free? Several laws have been made to cut down on the number of unwanted animals, none of which has worked. This one will work no better. You’d think government would someday learn that making something illegal only serves to open up a huge, very lucrative, black market for the real criminals. To call pet store owners ‘consumers of ill-gotten goods’ is so ludicrous that I had to read it twice to be sure that’s what it said! In addition, I have gotten several pets in that past from shelters. One had parvo, one was a biter, and one became the love of my life. Indeed, my heart goes out to these poor, abandoned animals, but more laws will do nothing to help them and I, for one, resent the never ending new laws curtailing my freedom to live a lawful life!

• Marilyn Michaels

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:46 am

How about banning rescues importing dog from other states and other countries? Why not just close down all animal shelters? They are Tim by jackasses. Animals have a better life on the street than in a death camp “shelter”

• HEather R

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Pet stores sell puppy mill puppies, rabbits and all sorts of animals and I am glad it is no banned- I am sick of the way animals are treated- Too bad they needed to be told not to sell animals SO many animal s are euthanized at shelters (for space!) Sales at pet Stores has to end! Pet stores do buy from backyard breeders and mills!

• Greg Finderbend

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:23 pm

All of my animals except one rescue have been mill puppies / kittens and they’ve all been awesome except for that rescue. I will always buy mill animals. Rescue animals should be put to sleep

• Fuzzybutts

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:40 pm

I’m sure the rescued animal picked up on your jerkiness……

• connie

May 2, 2016 at 5:37 pm

well cant sell pets maybe they should sell welfare brats, just as defective at half the price. mass produced by baby factories should keep the price down.

• Sthrngypsy

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Do you know what happens to culled rabbits if the rabbit farmers can’t sell their culls at pet stores? They get eaten.

• Redriveratdawn

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:49 am

Rabbits r food. So what?

• Marilyn Michaels

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:49 am

You are an idiot. “Shelters” don’t kill for space and haven’t for a long time. There are dog shortages in many areas including San Diego and San Francisco. 23 million homes for dogs open up each year. Any “shelter” that kills is run by incompetent boobs.

• connie

May 2, 2016 at 5:16 pm

no your not alone, not every breeder has defective animals, nor are all raised in horrific conditions. If the state would adopt New York states lemon law, there would be less problems. Most animals that ares euthanized are random breeds, mixed breeds not purebreds. Not all commercial breeders are the pits either, let several be a problem and everyone gets the bad name. So called rescue places buy from breeders and resell also, where do you think they get the bigger money from? You go to one of those places the junk yard dog is $100 and the purebred or lookalike is $300….if they truely were interested in placing what they have the price would be the same on all dogs. Do ya see herds of poodles, sheepdogs, and other fancies running the streets of LA or other cities? No ya see the junk yard animals left to breed with what ever, because one- the cost to spay and neuter is too dam expensive, or they are too poor to afford it. Or rent to expensive and they move out and leave them behind, cause human shelters dont allow animals.

• Jamie

May 3, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Many, many dogs in shelters are purebred and put down at the same rate as the mixed breeds.

• Gail

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Jamie, then your shelter is doing something wrong. They should contact Maricopa County, AZ. Last year they euthanized NO healthy (or treatable) dogs or cats.

• al smith

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:27 pm

no they are not “many Many” is not a number it is an opinion of yours and yours alone

• Dawn Panda

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Shelter employees are notoriously terrible at breed identification. If a dog vaguely resembles a particular breed, they slap that name on it and call it purebred. Frankly, it’s marketing. The other aspect is the “sad back story” they all have. Any timid dog is an abuse victim; thin dogs are neglect victims…with no background given, all these miraculously have a story.
          Now, the biggest waiting lines are for dogs from OUTSIDE the United States. From Korea, where they were “rescued” from slaughter, from China, where they were outlawed due to size, from Puerto Rico…dogs are being IMPORTED to US shelters by the thousands.
          Pet store bans have nothing whatsoever to do with animal welfare (go take a look at commercial kennel requirements) and everything to do with eliminating competition for the market. Retail rescue has become a very lucrative business.

• Sthrngypsy

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:30 pm

As of 2015, the percentage of purebred dogs in shelters is 5%. I’m really excited to (hopefully, I’m on a waiting list) to buy a purebred Coton de Tulear puppy next year. Even if something should happen to me, my dog will NEVER end up in a shelter. He will go back to his breeder. It is in the contract I am signing and it will be in my will also.

• Rachelle Ehrman

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:20 am

That is so not true, Jaime. Shelters market all uncertified dogs as “purebred” even when they clearly are not purebred. All dogs are PTS at the same rate, and that much is true, but I witnessed the deception first hand. Less than 5% of all dogs that we took in could be certified as purebred, but nearly 50% were marketed as “purebred”. It really was disheatening.

• Steffanie

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:34 am

That is actually not true. I worked in LA shelters,and we got all types of breeds of dogs. I did not support limiting people’s ability to buy animals though. It has not worked out so well in San Diego, banning sales of pet stores. Now there is a influx of puppies from Mexico which are worse than puppy mills in the States. You will see more and more of puppy mills and back yard breeders thriving more so. A consumer cannot buy a puppy from a pet store, so they will look online or on Craig’s List. Find the breed they want,and find it is from far worse conditions of a pet store. There are laws to protect you if you purchase from pet store, but not rescue.

• ivona

May 6, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Any way to stop this inhumane “production”of temporary pets is good. Pet shop owners can swap to planting fruits and vegetables.

• Gail

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Because someone can come home to a loving fruit or vegetable… take that tomato on vacation with you and play in the park with the cherries!

2. Margaret Mc

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Buying dogs from pet stores has long been a bad idea as so many of those animals come from puppy mills. But there is nothing wrong with doing your homework and buying a pure bred dog from a reputable breeder.

• Michael

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:00 am

I agree, but you do realize that there are adoption zealots who demonize even those who buy from reputable breeders.

3. Sharon Karpinski

Apr 29, 2016 at 6:43 pm

I’m all for shelter dogs and banning third party puppy sales but—I’m sick of hearing about “back-yard breeders.” Where do you think most puppies are born? In somebody’s back yard— Puppies that are home-raised (that means not in kennels, with mothers that aren’t caged) are better socialized and make better pets. I know many very ethical dog breeders who are “back yard breeders.” It’s a sound way to raise dogs.

• Kk

May 3, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Backyard breeders don’t literally raise their puppies in their shed… a few do. Many are “home raised”. It just means people who breed their untested, unproven pets for a few bucks. Your average well loved, next door neighbor’s fido multiplied when you can get the same dog at a shelter.

• al smith

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:37 pm

umm if you get your dog from the breeder that dog won’t be in the shelter right?

4. Pingback: EWAO Victory! Los Angeles Permanently Bans The Sale of Non-Rescue Cats, Dogs, And Rabbits

5. Burr

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:50 am

I don’t always agree with CA politics, but this is good. Now we need to ban all breeding. It’s bad enough that we’ve bred the intelligence out of dogs, but to keep breeding genetic defects is sick, especially those that cause the animals pain and shorten their lives. People who spend thousands of dollars on these animals should be ashamed of themselves for supporting an unethical industry and seeing nothing wrong with it.

• connie

May 2, 2016 at 5:24 pm

ban breeding? so when all the dogs are spayed and neutered, at some point there are no more dogs…great idea if your an idiot. ban human breeding, all welfare people be spayed, all defect people put down so they dont breed more retards. cut off all funding to mental and physical defect people, the sick and defective should go. people that spend millions on defective people should be banned, maybe sent to russian front, thats your mentality apply it to everything that lives… people have the right to buy what they want, why should i settle for a junk yard dog, when i want sheepdog? because some shameless hussie says so? if you cant afford the dream lady get a job and save and you too can be up here with the rest of us with money. i dont feel bad for buying what i want, my Porsche to your el cheapo junker…sound like your a jealous cow.

• Steffanie

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:53 am

You have no right to judge people who purchase pets. I am so tired of people saying how wrong it is to buy a animal. Well, it is selfish and uneducated to want all breeding stopped. If you only want to rescue, rock on. That is your choice; but I like a breed of cat you cannot find in shelters. I know since I worked at one in LA. So, I am aware of over population issues. I worked the receiving of pets being dropped off at the shelter. Guess what it was owners, not breeders dropping off their pets. Puppies and kittens were almost all from irresponsible ownership.

If I want to spend my money on a pretty kitty, what business is it of people like You? If I put a pic up why do they have to be a rescue? In the logic of AR people it is okay for people to buy a huge house, expensive cars,and exotic vacations; instead of using their resources to help homeless pets,children, and improving the world? Yet, under AR standards I am evil for supporting ethical breeders and buying some of my pets? Though none of you blink two when some rapper has blond Bilbo with bling all over her body. Though the performer spent huge amount of money on some random slut. Yet, I am evil for saving up my money, buying a pet and giving it a great home.

Bravo for you. The world is a selfish place, I am sure I could pick apart your life and find selfish things you spend your money on, when it could have saved whales. Personally, I do not think I, not other people who purchase should feel bad. I mean I have seen the cars the CEOs and founders of most AR group’s drive. Yup, totally selfish. So, you can preach how evil people who buy from breeders are when you are not selfish, and the AR wackadoos that run AR group’s do.

• Sthrngypsy

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:32 pm

So, basically you wan there to be no more dogs or cats, correct? I disagree, I want dogs and cats to continue to exist.

• richard

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:15 am

agree with you completely- these people are psychopaths- they have no morals or conscience. All the lunatics posting here are breeders themselves and sick twisted people. They use breeding animals to make money for their pathetic selves. They have no decency.
      pathetic rejects

• Rachelle Ehrman

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:04 am

Really?? I guess its okay to import millions of sick, deformed, feral strays from other countires but it’s “pathetic” to breed a healthy puppy with documented parentage of many generations and a long study of health and temperment. There are many breeds, ancient breeds, on the edge of extintion because of your so-called “decency”. Haven’t we, as a race, extinguished enough species in this world?

6. Pingback: Los Angeles Permanently Bans the Sale of Non-Rescue Cats & Dogs

7. Pingback: Victory! Los Angeles Permanently Bans The Sale of Non-Rescue Cats, Dogs, And Rabbits AnonHQ

8. Pingback: Victory! Los Angeles Permanently Bans The Sale of Non-Rescue Cats, Dogs, And Rabbits – I Love All My Dogs

9. Pingback: Three Things Thursday #2 - VNutrition

10. Pingback: Victory! Los Angeles Permanently Bans The Sale of Non-Rescue Cats, Dogs, And Rabbits - Expand your Consciousness

11. solange silverman

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:12 pm

I used to raise pure bred, champion Samoyeds. We sometimes sold to pet stores. We were responsible breeders who loved our animals. I do not believe this is fair to responsible breeders More to the point, what needs to happen is to have all the puppy mills shut down and for the pet shops to do better research on those from whom they purchase their puppies. They could then report offenders. I do not believe this law is fair or really makes any sense.

• al smith

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:29 pm

it is LA it does not need to make sense..a hotbed of stupid pols being paid off by cunning PETA types.. LA is a cesspool

• richard

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:12 am

whyy are you even breeding animals you dumbass?? to make money?! using animals to make money- pathetic. Get a real job you stupid piece of sh*t. This law is very constitutional..c*nts

• Rachelle Ehrman

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:12 am

Do you even know what a Samni is, sir? They are an ancient breed of dog originially bred by the natives of the Taimyr pennisula of Siberia. This breed has been proven viable with mininal mutation by DNA for thousands of years. Thousands of years!! They have every right to contiue their existance in this world, even more so than your “street dogs” from Mexico. You have no idea how stupid you sound. Money???? AS IF!!!!!

12. Belinda

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Breeding requires specialized knowledge, genetic testing to avoid passing down painful abnormailities or life shortening diseases and so much more.

• al smith

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:30 pm

yes so let;s make sure NONE of those dogs are available.. just mutts from Mexico

13. Holly Marie

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Nice monopoly for the lucrative, tax-exempt retail rescue business.

Sure, it’s legal to buy a healthy, home-raised purebred puppy from a breeder NOW…but the precedent is set. I guarantee it is just a matter of time before that door of choice is also slammed and locked, forcing buyers to only purchase the imported Pit and Chihuahua etc mixes of unknown health and origin from “approved” sales outlets such as shelters and retail rescues.

This law does nothing to “raise the bar”, and is in fact nothing but a monopoly in favor of one business model over another. The businesses being favored are tax-exempt and have zero oversight. Animals are brought in from Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Asian countries, and have brought in diseases, including rabies. Their backgrounds are unknown, but this is not important to the proponents of these monopolies; they don’t care what you, the public, are being sold…just as long as any affordable possible choice is removed and you are forced and guilted into buying only from rescues and municipal shelters. No matching of pet to the right home, no “tech support” no relationship; just a business transaction, period.

This is in no way an improvement and does absolutely nothing to prevent the occurrence of homeless pets and in fact sets up a perfect scenario for more failure and abandonment of pets on the part of owners who are ill-equipped to handle whatever animal is being foisted on them by a tax-exempt sales outlet with zero regulation or oversight only concerned with quick sales stats. Importing street animals to fill the shelves is in no way a better business model than pet stores being able to purchase pets from licensed, regulated kennels for sale.

Hobby breeders, if you think you are safe from this special interest group set on creating and maintaining its sales monopoly on pets…guess again. You’re in their sights. They do not want the competition, and that family who wants the Cocker Spaniel or Lab cannot be allowed to get that dog. The only way to force them to buy the Chihuahua or Pit mix from them is to make sure that you are criminalized and gone completely. The only other choice will be no pet at all…unless they are rich enough to buy from outside the area, and many breeders are refusing to sell to California buyers because of the laws forcing pediatric sterilization on little puppies. No more purebreds=no more litters=more business for tax-exempt shelters and retailers importing street dogs of unknown origin and health status from offshore.

This is first, last and always about money. These are not animal lovers…they are people haters, they want your money, and will stop at nothing to get it.

• al smith

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:32 pm

you nailed it. but the zealots here will close their eyes to common sense..

14. Gail

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:57 pm

1. Rescues and shelters don’t put dogs/cats etc. up for “adoption.” Since money is paid for these animals, they are bought! 2. You aren’t going to convince the family that wants a purebred dog or cat to get a mixed breed by passing this law. These folks will (and are) merely going to buy their pet from someone in Arizona, Nevada, etc.

15. maxi

Jul 5, 2016 at 7:40 am

this is nothing more than retail rescue that they are endorsing and will only encourage shelters to start ‘breeding’ what will be sought after types of dogs,(like small terrier, poodle, yorkie mixes, etc.). rescues and shelters have been seen at dog auctions buying litters and pregnant dogs, taking them back to their shelter or rescue, make up some sad story and then sell the puppies and mother dogs. you are not ‘adopting’ a pet if you are looking over several different ones to make a decision, you are shopping for one, usually for just about the same price or more than a purebred or ‘designer’ breed from a breeder. add on shots, health check, spay/neuter, etc., and that price is jacked up without you realizing that many vets do all that either for free or at a greatly reduced cost,(it’s a tax deduction as charity), yet the cost of what it would have been is passed on to the consumer. there is also no real guarantee on health or temperament with shelter dogs whereas breeders know their breed and the parents and can be more sure of these things than a shelter or rescue can be. people shouldn’t have to buy a dog when the place they came from is guessing on these things. the adopt don’t shop chant is misleading! if hundreds of dollars are being exchanged… you shopped and bought and the shelter pockets the money, so how does this differ from a reputable breeder? money goes back into the shelter, supposedly, and a breeder put the money back into their breeding program. most breeders are not ‘puppy mills’, which is a phrase coined by animal rights groups that lumps any and all pure bred breeders. shelters/rescues will be falling into this group soon also as they start breeding these more desirable mixes.

16. Esther

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Um, doesn’t that violate freedom of association/contract, wherein the govt cannot interfere with whom an individual or businesses choses to make contracts? This is essentially city government telling a private business that they cannot make contracts with (sell products of) certain businesses. Pretty sure that is unconstitutional.

• Sthrngypsy

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:37 pm

Quite possibly. Unfortunately it takes a great deal of money to fight this type of case, which is how governments get away with passing unconstitutional laws all the time.

17. Elizabeth

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:58 pm

So now LA only has one choice for pets. A shelter dog is NOT for every family. Shelter dogs come with baggage that can require an EXPERIENCED owner. Shelter dogs have NO health testing and frequently have behavioral issues that take years of training to overcome. Health care and training for a shelter dog can cost THOUSANDS of dollars and still not result in a quality pet. Puppies purchased from a shelter or rescue are NOT subject to any state puppy lemon laws. Puppies purchased from a breeder or a pet store are covered under state puppy lemon laws. Obtaining a dog should be a time for rational decision making–not an excuse for moral preening. If ‘adopting’ a shelter dog makes you feel ‘better about yourself’, you don’t need a dog. You need a therapist. You are more likely to purchase a dog with health or behavioral issues from a shelter than a pet store. Many shelters no longer have young animals to sell and have to import them from other states and even FOREIGN COUNTRIES.

• melissa

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:10 am

shut up you stupid b*tch. you’re probably a breeder yourself. There is nothing wrong with shelter dogs or rescue dogs. Dumb wench

18. Kelly

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Retail Rescue is king.. Of course it’s unconstitutional.. animal rights zealots won’t be happy until the only dogs left are pit mixes..

19. melissa

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:09 am

seriously f*ck you stupid jerks advocating breeders- breeding should be illegal PERIOD. whats the need to breed animals when there are thousands in shelters you pieces of stupid sh*t??? so you worthless freaks can have your purebreds- all breeders should be shut down and hope they go to hell one day for doing this to animals. You crazy idiots..stupid f*cking humans can’t believe the gall you psychopaths have..this is a GOOD LAW..one of the few good ones to come out..morons

• Rachelle Ehrman

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:24 am

And Melissa is the voice of rescue?? Is it any wonder people seek out civilized people to do business with?

20. Pingback: It’s a Wrap! Our Top Cat Stories of 2016 – The Catington Post

21. Pingback: San Francisco Law Bans the Sale of Non-Rescue Cats & Dogs from Pet Stores – The Catington Post

22. Pingback: No Dog Left Behind – Paws for Thought