Bonding with your cat is an important step toward living harmoniously together. To bond is to create a personal relationship that includes mutual love, trust, and respect between you and your furry friend. It’s easiest to bond with a new kitten, but you can also develop a strong bond with a new adult cat. Try these fun ways to strengthen the bond with your cat:
1. Talk to your cat. Verbally communicating is one of the most important aspects of bonding! While your cat won’t know what exactly you’re saying, he will understand your warm, friendly tone of voice.
2. Call your cat by his or her name – often.
3. Stick to a Routine. Cats are creatures of habit, and they don’t like surprises. Establish a routine and stick to it as best you can. This includes feeding your cat at the same time each day, playing with toys, and going for walks.
4. Be consistent. When you’re training your cat, always be consistent with what you’ll allow and what isn’t appropriate kitty behavior. Don’t yell at your cat for being on the kitchen counter and then allow it the next day. Inconsistency is confusing and your cat won’t be able to trust you.
5. Play…a lot! Use wand toys, laser pointers, or toys on strings to play with your cat and he will associate you with having fun!
6. Never, ever, punish your cat. Behaviorists agree that cats do not learn by punishment. They do, however, learn with positive reinforcement. So, rather than punishing your cat for doing something wrong, reward your cat when she does something right.
7. Brush her. Cats love to be pampered, just like we do! Spend a few minutes every day gently brushing your furry friend with a soft brush.
8. Give treats. While you should be careful not to overfeed your feline friend, giving tasty treats is another way your cat will make a positive association and bond to you.
9. Try cat massage.
10 Get down on her level. The lower you are to the ground, the less threatening you are. If you’re bonding with a fearful kitty, get down as low as you can and allow her to approach you first.
11. Try clicker training! Yes, cats can be trained with a bit of patience and time. Clicker training is a way to communicate with your cat and will definitely strengthen your bond.
12. Make meal-times special. One way to strengthen your bond with kitty is while she’s eating. Instead of filling her bowl and walking away, sit with her and pet her while she eats.
13. Learn your cat’s body language. While they can’t speak to you, your cat is definitely talking to you! Learn what she’s saying by studying cat body language.
14. Keep him comfortable. Cats are more likely to bond when they feel comfortable and safe. Provide your cat with a warm, safe, loving home.
15. Let your cat share your bed with you.
What other ways have you bonded with your cat? Tell us!
Share this article with your friends… pin it!