A Pottsville, Pennsylvania man and his three dogs are safe from a house fire – all thanks to the family cat!
Jo Bottor, 57, was sleeping on a couch in the first-floor living room when his cat woke him up by pawing at him. That’s when he noticed a dog bed was on fire near the propane fireplace. At that point, he carried the cat outside to safety and the three dogs got out of the house as well. Thank goodness the cat was there – Bottor said he didn’t hear smoke alarms go off until later.
Sadly, a tarantula, lizard and fish died in the blaze. Fortunately, though, Bottor was the only one home at the time of the fire. His wife, Sherry, 54, son, Joseph, 38, and Joseph’s fiancee, Della Bozeman, 24 were away.
Pottsville Fire Chief Todd March said, “I think the dog bed was too close to the fireplace. The radiant heat set the dog bed on fire. That’s what it looks like.” In a report by The Republican Herald, he advised residents to keep at least a 3-foot distance between heat sources and objects, like dog beds and blankets.
Damage to Bottor’s home is estimated at $100,000. Patty Daley, disaster captain of the Tri-County American Red Cross, said those affected were provided food, clothing and shelter assistance.