Front Page News

Hero Cat Saves a Man & Three Dogs from a House Fire

ANDY MATSKO/REPUBLICAN HERALD Pottsville firefighters work on a house fire Wednesday

ANDY MATSKO/REPUBLICAN HERALD Pottsville firefighters work on a house fire Wednesday

A Pottsville, Pennsylvania man and his three dogs are safe from a house fire – all thanks to the family cat!

Jo Bottor, 57, was sleeping on a couch in the first-floor living room when his cat woke him up by pawing at him. That’s when he noticed a dog bed was on fire near the propane fireplace. At that point, he carried the cat outside to safety and the three dogs got out of the house as well. Thank goodness the cat was there – Bottor said he didn’t hear smoke alarms go off until later.

Sadly, a tarantula, lizard and fish died in the blaze. Fortunately, though, Bottor was the only one home at the time of the fire. His wife, Sherry, 54, son, Joseph, 38, and Joseph’s fiancee, Della Bozeman, 24 were away.

ANDY MATSKO

ANDY MATSKO

Pottsville Fire Chief Todd March said, “I think the dog bed was too close to the fireplace. The radiant heat set the dog bed on fire. That’s what it looks like.” In a report by The Republican Herald, he advised residents to keep at least a 3-foot distance between heat sources and objects, like dog beds and blankets.

Damage to Bottor’s home is estimated at $100,000. Patty Daley, disaster captain of the Tri-County American Red Cross, said those affected were provided food, clothing and shelter assistance.

1 Comment

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

The Catington Post is the internet newspaper all about CATS! We cover everything from the latest cats in the news, lifestyle with cats, behavior, nutrition, health, and training (yes, you can train cats!). No crazy here...just cat people!

[sibwp_form id=2]

Copyright © 2022 Catington Post. This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking them, we may get a small commission.

To Top