Lifestyle with Cat

Why Laser Pointers Could be Bad for your Cat (it’s not what you think!)

laser pointersMost of the concern surrounding laser pointers and cats stems from the laser itself. Is it dangerous for their eyes? Of course, you don’t want to point the beam directly into your cat’s eyes on purpose, but no – that really isn’t the big problem with laser pointers. The real danger is the feeling of frustration a game of laser tag leaves with your cat.

When your kitty sees that little wiggly ball of light from a laser pointer, nothing matters to him more than catching it. Unfortunately, the problem is there’s nothing there to ‘catch’, since it’s just an ungraspable bundle of light. And, it turns out, the lack of closure your cat experiences from endlessly trying to catch it may actually be screwing with his head.

Cats instinctively chase those bright red laser dots simply because they’re moving; stimulating their natural prey drive. The laser beam’s incessant moving taps into this prey drive and the cat can’t help himself – he has to chase it.

But, according to well-known veterinarian, Dr. Marty Becker:

The potential problem with these toys comes because the cat can never “win” the game. Even if a cat catches the dot there’s nothing there. The cat gets all worked up with no resolution — every time. Even in the wild, a hunting cat will catch the prey now and then. But there’s no catching that alluring, fast-moving red dot!

If your cat loves to chase, Dr. Becker recommends using more tangible toys that he can actually catch, as some cats will redirect their frustration in ways that may hurt them or you.

However, if you can’t find a toy that gets your feline friend as excited as the laser, another solution we really love is to hide treats around the room and occasionally land the laser light on the treat to surprise your kitty. Problem solved!

1. Pingback: Senior Cats Need to Play, Too! - The Catington Post

2. Theresa Kessler

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:43 pm

PLZ DO NOT USE LASERS FOR TOY FOR CAT. I’M SHOUTING TO ALL HERE…MY DAUGHTER HAD ONE AND IT WAS SHONE ON THE WALL. HER CAT JUMPED UP FOR IT AND CAME DOWN ON HIS SIDE AND INSTANTLY KILLED IT (SPINAL INJURY). I BEG OF YOU …PLZ DONT!

• Nancy Negoro

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Wow that is so Sad…..Sorry for your loss 🙁

• Bobby Day

Aug 21, 2019 at 2:36 pm

lmao da heck. Stupid ass cat

3. Laser Play All Day

Dec 24, 2016 at 2:56 am

I have safely used laser pointers while playing with cats for over 20+ years.
    Yes, it is quickly noticed by any normal adult that cats wish to catch their prey and this is easily solved by alternating the laser chase with a shoe string toy etc.
    Give me a frickin’ break.
    This web page is laughable.
    Have fun playing with your cats.
    (The story above concerning the death of a kitten while play chasing a laser pointer is unfortunate and “rare.” The lesson here is to limit play area to wide open floor spaces.)

4. Ken

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:50 pm

Mercy a liberal will make everything Un- enjoyably. I’ve never seen a cat who did not stop playing when the light is turned off . Yes I keep it away from their eyes . I see many cat toys that are more dangerous than a laser. THHE CAT ENJOYS THE CHASE GET A LIFE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

• Jan

Mar 18, 2019 at 6:54 pm

How on earth does someone extrapolate caution about cats and laser lights into being a “liberal” idea? Honestly, not every issue on earth is divisible into liberal or conservative camps! I personally like the strategy of rewarding my cats’ laser-hunting efforts with hidden treats. None of my cats care a whit about lib-con party lines, btw…they have better things to do with their time, like chase laser lights and nap and wreak general havoc.

• Michael Haneline

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:01 pm

I think this idea is ridiculous so obviously the political party I oppose is responsible for it!

Allergin warning labels? Liberals!

ASMR? LIBERALS!

Pants with zippers to convert into shorts? LIB-RAHHHHHHLS!!!

5. Terry

Apr 10, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Well, I am guilty of using the laser light to play with my cat and you do make a good point that they may get frustrated after a while but geez it’s so much fun watching them trying to catch it.

6. Madalina

May 3, 2019 at 11:38 am

Badly researched article. TL;DR version: cats are way smarter than you give them credit, they know it’s just a game and just enjoy the fun!

How do I know that?
    Personal experience. If I press on the button for the laser toy, wherever they are in the house, my cats will come. If I just play with the laser toy without enabling it, they look at me and then search the light. If the light suddenly disappears, they also look to me. They “catch” it, they see that it’s still there, they keep chasing it.
    So it’s not like they are fooled into chasing what they think is a real animal and then when they catch it they get disappointed. I’ve never seen that. They just treat it like a game, which is what this is.

• Aaron

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:00 am

Over-using a laser with your cat is definitely a bad idea. Cats are not “smart” and do not understand that it is a game and is not real. Using a laser too much can lead your cat to start constantly be on alert and looking for the laser dot. They can start to act freaked out all the time. Use sparingly.

• Suzanne Hinderliter

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:13 am

Did this happen to one of your cats? Because what you said sounds like what my young cat is doing. I read this post & comments because of how my Bundles is acting. She’s started to be leery of every object when she’s not chasing the laser. I’m looking for answers.

7. Pingback: Tips & Tricks for Getting a Finicky Cat to Eat

8. Mike Day

Aug 21, 2019 at 2:38 pm

I pop this booty for a real treat