Front Page News

New Jersey On Its Way to Becoming First State to Ban Declawing

shutterstock_48462385-2

New Jersey is on its way to becoming the first state in the country to ban veterinarians from declawing cats.

Onychetomy is the medical term for declawing. To be clear, The Catington Post is a strong advocate against declawing. It’s a painful amputation of a cat’s knuckles – not simply removing claws, as many people still believe. It’s a procedure that’s extremely painful, and can have lasting, even lifelong, emotional and physical effects on a cat, whose very nature is to use his claws.

A bill that cleared an Assembly committee on Monday would add declawing to the list of criminal animal cruelty offenses (with exceptions for medical purposes).  According to the bill (A3899), veterinarians caught declawing a cat and people who seek them out, would face a fine of up to $1,000 or six months in jail. Violators would also face a civil penalty of $500 to $2,000.

The bill includes medical exceptions where declawing would be allowed:

Existing or recurring illness, infection, disease, injury, or abnormal condition in a claw that compromises the animal’s health. “Therapeutic purpose” shall not mean cosmetic or aesthetic reasons or reasons of convenience in keeping or handling the animal.

Basically, if the bill is passed, declawing a cat to keep it from scratching your furniture would be against the law.

If the bill passes, New Jersey will become the first state in the US to enact a declaw ban, though several cities in California have already outlawed the practice. Declawing is already illegal or considered extremely inhumane in many other countries, including most of Europe and Australia.

The committee ultimately approved the bill, sponsored by Assemblyman Troy Singleton (D-Burlington), who said

“Declawing is a barbaric practice that more often than not is done for the sake of convenience rather than necessity. Many countries worldwide acknowledge the inhumane nature of declawing, which causes extreme pain to cats. It’s time for New Jersey to join them.”

shutterstock_290093153

If you have a cat with a scratching problem, declawing should not be considered! Remember, scratching is a natural behavior and declawing a cat – by amputating the first knuckle on his paws – can cause permanent psychological and physical damage. Because scratching in cats is a normal and necessary behavior, it is not recommended that we keep our cats from scratching. Instead, what owners can do to resolve the scratching issue is by redirecting the scratching onto acceptable objects. Learn more by clicking here.

Would you support a ban on cat declawing?

1. Darlene

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Cats should never be declawed! I would definitely support a ban.

• lisa clark-kahn

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:20 pm

HOW DARE WE AS HUMANS DECIDE WHAT BODY PARET OTHER BEINGS GET TO KEEP ARE YOU KIDDING ME.THIS IS A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION FOR PLAIN LOGIC AND MORALS TOWADRS OTHERS.DOES NOT TAKE MUCH WISDOM OR PLAIN EMPATHY TO KNOW THAT THIS IS BARBARIC AND PEOPLE WHO DECIDE TO DO THIS ARE SELFISH AND HAVE A WARPED VIEW OF ANIMAL HUMAN BOND.NOW IF YOU HAVE DONE THIS IN THE PAST IM NOT HEAR TO TELL YOU YOU ARE AWFUL SOMETIMES IN LIFE OUR JOURNEY TAKES A WHILE TO BE MORE THOUGHTFUL AND EDUCATED,BUT TO KEEP STICKING UP FOR YOUR OWN EGO INSTEAD OF TRYING TO BE BETTER AND PROGRESS TO BE MORE THOUGHTFUL AND HUMANE TO ANIMALS WELL THAT IS WHAT SAYS ALOT.SOME PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW BETTER AND GROW AND SOME PEOPLES EGO OR PLAIN SELFISHNESS ARE TO BIG AND WE NEED TO MAKE LAWS TO PROTECT ANIMALS FROM THEM.THE KNOWING NEEDS TO LEAD THE WAY FOR THE VOICELESS.PS ANIMALS SHOULD NOT BE PROPERTY SO TO SAY I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO WHAT I WANT WITH MY CATS SAYS A LOT WHERE YOUR HEART AND MIND ARE.

2. Margaret Cahill

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Sorry, disagree. I have had 3 house cats and all declawed. All loving, playful cats. They were fine after the surgery. No state needs to tell me if I can or cannot declaw my cat.

• m robbins

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Anyone stupid enough to declaw a cat, does not deserve the privilege of having a cat.

• Susanne Macanka

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:09 pm

I bet your cats would beg to differ. Do you know cats hide their pain ? I ignorantly had my cat declawed in early 2000. Over the years, she developed painful arthritis because she was forced to walk in a way unnatural to cats. In mid age, she couldn’t squat down properly to pee and I had to wipe urine off the floor until I got her a high-walled litter box. Her front legs got more and more deformed, and she started limping and often walked on her front wrists. I never did this to any other cat again. It’s amputation of the first digits of their toes, it’s very painful and there are alternatives. Would people declaw their dogs? Dog’s claws scratch up floors and doors and leather furniture. I hope my former home state is the first one to ban this inhumane practice. There are far more declawed cats in the shelters because the have behavioral issues than cats that have intact paws. If people can’t tolerate the essential feature that makes a cat a cat, they shouldn’t have one.

• Sue

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:47 pm

My cat had to be euthanized when she was 19 years old. We had her declawed when she was 6 months old. She loved life until shortly before her death. She jumped whenever she liked. She adored her people. She loved Christmas and came out every Christmas morning to get her stocking filled with gifts. She loved our beagle and was respected by all of the other cats. I think perhaps you had a vet that didn’t know what he was doing or more likely something else was wrong with the cat.

• Karen Snyder

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Wait until they get older have develop crippling arthritis from being declawed. It’s so sad to see.

• Valerie Huey

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:00 am

Margaret, the majority of cats declawed suffer much. Just because you say yours didn’t doesn’t make what you did to them right. You took away part of who your cats are but I guess you don’t care about that. Your material possessions seem to be more important to you. Perhaps you shouldn’t have animals in your home or children since they can be just as destructive. Maybe you should have your fingers and thumbs amputated from the first knuckle as well so you can know first hand what you have done to those cats.

• Grace Carrin

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:45 am

I’ll tell you what you ignorant piece of dirt. How about you go to your doctor and have him chop off your fingers from your first knuckle up. Then after it heals you tell me if you are not handicapped. That’s what you did to your cats. You made cripples out of them. Most countries banned this procedure a LONG time ago knowing just how barbaric it is. The United States is backwards when it comes to this topic. My vet will not do it. Most cats don’t jump any more after declawing. Your cats maybe playful, loving cats but let me assure you, they are in pain. Cats do not show pain. They hide it, that is why illnesses affect them more. You can hardly ever get an early diagnosis of disease because they don’t show their pain. No, they were not fine after the surgery, you were just too selfish to notice. You were worried about damage they might cause. And I hope they never get out because you’ve taken away their very defenses. As they age they get more and more pain and arthritis settles in and the deformaties get worse. Because of your ignorance and heartlessness, you cats will suffer the consequences later in life. And I wish the same for you with arthritis so you will understand what you did. You arrogance is unbelievable!

• steve

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:14 pm

what a nasty wackado!

• Annie

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:20 am

Bet you support abortion though!!

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:02 am

Okay, get out. You do NOT get to ignorantly derail this discussion with something that is IRRELEVANT.

Go away.

• Dianne L Finnegan

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:59 am

Why do you insist on having an animal you don’t like? Get a dog (nobody mains them) or a bunny or something! Do you think your cats would agree with you? I’m sure they wouldn’t!

• Denise

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:52 pm

U must be wearing blinders. If u are abusing your pets knowingly or not they have Every right to tell you how they should be treated.

• Janice Berebitsky

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:25 pm

I agree with you Margaret.I have had dozens of cats in the last 40+ years & all but 1 that was an older cat found outside, has had their front claws taken off when the were spayed/neutered. If I ever saw even 1 time that they were in pain I would never have done it again. I have shredded tons of newspapers to use in their litter box. My cats have all been happy & loving family members that have lived to ripe old ages. I have gotten all but my 1st cat from the streets.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:03 am

You have mutilated that many animals. I am horrified.

• patty

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:12 pm

I agree I had a cat that lived 20 years had her front paws declawed when she was just a tiny kitten, she was a happy and playful cat till her final days. It is the owner responsibility to make sure they remain house cats and if you do the declawing only on front paws and when they are young does not scar them for life what bull shit

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:05 am

Are you a vet? Where’s your medical degree? You clearly have NO idea what you’re talking about, and your singular example does not prove anything.

Come back when you learn what the ACTUAL MEDICAL PROCEDURE IS, and then get back to us.

Or let me chop off the tips of all your fingers and then agree when I tell you it’s not a big deal. Because that’s what declawing IS, you fetid skxawng.

• Donna Vazzoler

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:17 pm

I’m with you Margaret I have 5 cats and my previous cats were all declawed. I haven’t seen any behavioral problem in them. If any body seen my furniture before when I had an out side cat not declawed that also lived in the house I swear if it was theirs the cat would have been gone.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:07 am

Please don’t own any more animals. Your ability to care for them is as abysmal as your grammar.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:00 am

Ah, another of the “Well all of mine were fine so it must not be that bad!” numpty-os.

Are you a vet? Do you understand the severity of the procedure?

Would you be okay with someone putting a pair of pliers on your kids’ hands and tearing out their fingernails, or chopping off the tips of their fingers to the first joint?

Because that is what declawing IS. And because you also don’t seem to understand the concept, cats are not a monolith. Some cats handle the procedure better than others because maybe their individual pain tolerance is higher. For each of your cats that were “just fine” there are MANY cats who suffer intense post-surgery pain and lasting psychological effects. AND FOR WHAT?

To save furniture.
      To keep them from hurting a child who should know how to handle a cat without having to be declawed.

Cats that are declawed are missing a vital part of their bodies. Many become biters (so much for protecting children, eh?). Many have issues using litter boxes because digging is now painful and they will spray and defecate all over the house (so much for saving precious furniture).

But all this means nothing to you, I’m sure, since YOUR cats are okay with it. I guess all those other cats and doctors and all that evidence is just wrong in the face of your anecdata. You must be right, after all. Your cats are the only ones on the planet.

• Frances A Danna

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:07 pm

OMC. How wrong you are! Cut off your fingers (and toes) at the knuckle and see how you would feel. End of story. :'(

3. Debbie

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:44 pm

If that is banned, you might have more feral cats to deal with. i won’t have a clawed cat in the house.

• Valerie Huey

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:03 am

Why? Are your material possessions that important to you? Children are just as destructive or more so.Perhaps you shouldn’t have them as well.

• Grace Carrin

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:04 am

Why? What is your problem? I have three clawed cats right now in my house. ( I have had up to 13 at one time). They have lived here for years. There is no damage that they do with their claws because when they were kittens and started to claw something, I’d pick them up and put them on the scratching post. It’s called redirecting their energy. After a while they get the picture. And why would that cause more feral cats?? Are you one of those nuts that thinks because there is a stray cat in the neighborhood it’s feral. Try learning what a feral is in the first place. If you throw a cat into the street because it clawed your furniture, first of all you ARE an animal abuser, secondly he is not a feral. He is a stray. A cat that will die because you put it out and it doesn’t know how to get or hunt for his own food. He may learn eventually but more likely he will die. You DON’T DESERVE a cat in the first place. When you take away their claws you are taking away their defenses and if they get outside they can be hurt badly or killed. It is a terrible thing that people like you are allowed to own pets. It’s a vanity thing to you, something you can show off. It doesn’t matter to you that these cats who are declawed go through a life of hell in pain and crippled. Why do you think most veterinarians are against this procedure?

• Magic

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:57 am

I hope you never have cats again.

• ron saur

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:48 am

Debbie if that is your reaction to dealing with a clawed cat, just turn them loose to survive for themselves, then you should not have cats. You just need to do a little research to realize that it is cruel and painful. I suppose that you would have a dogs vocal cords removed because he barks as well, or is that too inhumane for you? It has been proven several times over that it is debilitating and hurtful to the cats. The rest of the world realizes that it should be banned and hopefully someday the US will as well. I have a great idea for you: there are other animals out there that could give you have so just STAY AWAY FROM CATS, OK?

• Karin - Animal Rescuer

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:57 pm

THEN DONT OWN A CAT get a bird

• MJ

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:11 am

Please don’t get a cat. It’s not for you if you need to amputate them to have them in your home!

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:11 am

Every cat I’ve ever had has claws. I keep their claws trimmed, provide them with ample scratching materials, and play with them in an appropriate way so I don’t get clawed, and if I do, I deal with it.

If your furniture is that precious or your children are that stupid, then don’t have cats at all. If you’re not going to put in the effort to learn how to live with a cat, DON’T mutilate them just for your selfish convenience.

4. Etta Earlene Beck

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:46 am

I live in an apartment house that insists on declawing as a rule that must be obeyed. No declaw, no cat allowed. To not declaw is a lease breaker and will be used as a reason for eviction. I am low income and need to live in HUD housing. All the complexes have the same lease requirements. I had a cat and I had her declawed. She went insane afterwards. For the next 6 years I lived with a depressed, withdrawn, angry cat that I could no longer cuddle, nor hug nor pet nor carry. We didn’t snuggle in bed. She wouldn’t let me brush her. She was such a happy, silly, playful girl Before Declawing. Her favorite game, which she played a dozen times a day, and at night, was to snag her catnip mice and toss them clear up to the ceiling. She’d slash her tail and her eyes would go dark as she’d toss then catch her toys. After her bandages were removed she hid under the bed for days. She chewed a hole into the bottom of the bedsprings and moved in there. I heard her fall off the dresser and chairs she always climbed on. She spent hours licking her paws. I saw her try to “snag” her toys. It seemed to finally sink in that she couldn’t play anymore. I loved her dearly. She started sneaking up behind me and biting me. Always from behind. Usually my elbow or the back of the arm. A couple of times she wrapped herself around my ankles and left bite marks. Not deep. The scratches from her hind claws were nasty. I have 3 autoimmune diseases and am told not to break the skin! Right! I knew she loved me and I loved her. Having to put her to sleep was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Cancer. All I know is that her life was destroyed by that awful surgery. She loved to climb and use the scratching post. There was nothing for her to damage. My drapes, my furniture. She never bothered anything. But, I am disabled and don’t have an option to move elsewhere. The only way to get the declaw order removed is to make it against the law to declaw! I am caring for an old, sick cat living outside. I am taking him to a vet/animal sanctuary as soon as I can get him into the carrier. We tried yesterday but the old black cat found a burst of energy and decided I would let him go! He is so sick and weak that he won’t be able to live this winter. There’s no shelter. Rules don’t really even allow feeding. I want him. I will get him to a vet and have them keep him till he is well enough to be neutered. I told the mgr I was going to adopt him. She insists that IF she even says i can have him, he must be declawed. I can’t do that to him. Declawing is wrong, wrong, wrong! I will never do it and may never be allowed to have another cat. Living along is hard. So please, help me have another cat, make it a LAW not to DECLAW.

• Jeanne B

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:36 am

I agree it should be against the law to declaw. But until that happens, perhaps you could find a cat at a shelter that has already been declawed and needs a loving home.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:18 am

Your story breaks my heart and yes, there needs to be concomitant laws that require non-discrimination in housing. It was easy for me to choose a place that didn’t require declawing, but not everyone has the choice, and when you’re in that situation, it’s a no-win; either “you can’t have a cat at all” (which doesn’t help if the person has to move and already HAS a cat) or it makes it so a person cannot get one without agreeing to a horrible mutilation (and seriously, is carpeting so damn precious that they can’t handle the little bit of clawing that MIGHT happen?? I live in a carpeted apt. and my cats scratch a little bit on the carpeting but not that much; that’s what scratching posts and area rugs are for). And of course these same places probably don’t require any kind of deposits for children, who cause a LOT more damage than cats.

5. Grace Carrin

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:18 am

Why don’t you strike a compromise with your landlord. There are nail tips called soft paws. Soft Paws are an excellent alternative to declawing. They are easy to apply at home, and cats and their owners love them. They are completely safe and humane and can be used on cats of all ages. Soft Paws are vinyl nail caps that are glued on to your cat’s existing nails. They still get all the satisfaction of claws but do no damage. They are about $15 at Petsmart or petco. But if you are short funded, you can buy them on Ebay from Hong Kong, glue included for about $.99 cents for 20 nails and free shipping. They come in all different colors. Show them to the landlord and let him or her see they prevent damage. Just ask the vet what size he would need. Hope that helps you and anyone else reading this.

6. Kathy

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:25 am

I go along with not trimming dogs ears or docking their tails but I don’t want the government telling me more of what I can’t do.

• Pauline

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:47 pm

When people think it’s OK to maim their cats, the government should tell them what they can’t do. Trimming dogs’ ears and docking their tails are dreadful practices, yes, but dogs don’t suffer nearly as much from those as cats do from declawing.

• Magic

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:00 am

The government is going to tell you that mutilating your cat is against the law. As they should.

• Suzanne

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:20 pm

It’s not about “the government telling me what I can’t do.” It’s about developing anti-cruelty laws to protect animals. It’s irrational of you to be against docking tails in dogs but okay with chopping off the end joint of each toe in cats, a much more radical procedure.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:22 am

If you need the government to tell you not to mutilate animals for your own selfish convenience, then there’s something wrong with you.

7. Maria

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:53 am

NO TO DECLAW ! ITS NOT RIGHT . Ban it

8. Regina R. Allen DVM

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:54 am

As a Veterinarian, I appose a statewide ban on declawing based on political reasons. If declawing is to become illegal, it should be done by the NJ Veterinary Board and become part of the state’s Practice Act. It is a medical decision to be made between a cat owner and their Veterinarian, not forced on a cat owner by their state Assembly, which has NO medical knowledge. I will declaw (with excellent peri-operative pain control) if there is no alternative with the owner (soft paws caps, multiple scratching posts, etc.). Remember, declawing is not always done for convenience or selfish reasons. Perhaps Grandma has fragile skin and is on blood thinners, and a scratch from the cat can easily become a bloody infected mess. Or others that are immuno-compromised, such as those on chemotherapy, immune-mediating medications, pregnancy, HIV/AIDS, splenectomy, etc. – a scratch or bite from a cat can be fatal if not immediately treated.

There is an alternative that no one has mentioned – tendonectomy. The tendons in the cat’s paw are snipped (under anesthesia of course, this is a minor surgical procedure), leaving the last digit with the claw intact. The cat has its nails, but cannot extend them to scratch people or destroy things. The nails still need to be cut, or they will grow around into the paw, but that is not difficult to do. A fellow Veterinarian friend of mine did the tendonectomy procedure on her older cats, and they recovered quickly from anesthesia and never missed a beat.

So please educate yourselves and consider the alternatives (rehoming – the best option, or being dumped at the kill shelter) because not all people consider pets as cherished members of their families. No medical decision should be made by the government.

• Liah

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:45 pm

You misspelled oppose. Btw, those are reasons not to own a cat. Not reasons to declaw a cat. Maybe they should own a fish.

• Daniel Blaney

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:51 pm

tendonectomy also has horrendous complications. Also the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not recommend declawing for immunocompromised so anyone having it done for that reason is also incorrect. They only reason you don’t believe it should be banned is because you make money off of it. Lets not kid ourselves.

• Kristy

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:31 pm

I hope no-one brings their animals to you and you go out of practice. You’re a terrible excuse for a “vet” and a human being. If you actually read the article it stated there are medical exceptions. The alternative procedure isn’t the topic here. But, since “your friend” did it then it’s a legitimate procedure? Bottom line, if your cat has no medical need to be declawed then it shouldn’t be an option. Alternative=DON”T BE A CAT OWNER.

• Pauline

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:54 pm

If a scratch OR A BITE would be dangerous, then declawing makes no sense, as declawed cats turn to biting for defense. Or would you pull out all the cat’s teeth, too?

• Carline

Nov 16, 2016 at 3:51 pm

This is not a medical decision being made by the government. It is an anti-cruelty law which all states should adopt. Maiming an animal and subjecting them to a lifetime of pain for convenience is barberic and any vet who performs it for that reason should have their licence revoked. You should be ashamed of yourself!

• Magic

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:07 am

It is not a medical decision. It is a convenience decision. It is because people are lazy and too stupid to teach their cat to use a scratching post. It means that people elevate their furniture above the well being of their cats. This is a procedure that does NOTHING for the cat. Completely non beneficial. Not one damn thing good about it. I am sure you don’t want to let go of that income. Probably brings in 10’s of thousands of dollars over the year. Tendonectomy? WHY DO YOU ADVOCATE MUTILATING CATS? If people cannot accept cats for what they are, they shouldn’t get one. Period. Ban declawing. Absolutely. Not getting a cat because you can’t declaw it would be awesome. No other civilized country does this. Even China, not known for animal awareness, refuse to declaw. They are horrified that people do it. It is never acceptable. Never.

• Obsessive Cat Disorder

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:16 am

You are a liar, Doctor. I am also a Veterinarian and I would never declaw or advocate declawing. Never. It is wrong. It is not in any way beneficial to the cat. Our sacred trust to our patients, never make them any worse. You are a Doctor who will mutilate a cat and pocket the money. You are violating that trust and causing problems. 1 in 3 declawed cats develop behavior problems. Cornell University. The numbers of declawed cats being relinquished to shelters is going way up. Litter box and behavior problems. It must be stopped.

• Kara Aguilar

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:20 pm

My vet declaws his own cats and has taken care of our two as well – they have had no behavior problems or issues…they are happy, healthy and spoiled rotten as were the two we had before them that lived to 15 & 17 years respectively. To say that ALL cats that are declawed have issues is like saying all drivers have wrecks. It’s just not true. I think it’s all in how you take care of them.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:33 am

You cannot use your singular example as a counterargument. Just because YOUR vet declaws and YOUR cats are okay, that does not make it okay, or make any of the MOUNTAINS of evidence to the contrary invalid.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:31 am

If people are in situations where a cat scratch could be deadly, they shouldn’t have cats. If a person is so fragile that an accidental scratch could seriously injure them, they should not be around anything more dangerous than a dust ball.

PERHAPS, instead of permanently altering an animal in a harmful way (and your tendonectomy sounds less horrible but still awful), the HUMANS should alter THEIR lives to the needs of the animals they CHOOSE to bring into them, and if they can’t, then choose another animal, or get a stuffed animal.

Cats are not a necessity. They’re not a requirement. Humans can exist without them, and SHOULD if the only way they can live with a cat is to mutilate the cat.

9. Katie Brown

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:33 pm

I’m afraid it would keep many cats from being adopted!

• Pauline

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:59 pm

So it’s better to save a cat’s life by condemning it to years of pain and misery?

• Magic

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:11 am

If people are not going to own cats for that reason, they can’t declaw, so be it. It is not a bargaining point. This is cruelty and abuse and it needs to stop.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:40 am

Many shelters and adoption agencies will not allow you adopt cats if you plan to declaw them.

10. Sharon

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:22 pm

I had a Siamese I could not stop from scratching behavior – this was almost 20 years ago – and I went to a vet to discuss declawing. The vet basically talked me into it, not telling me what they were actually doing was amputation of the cat’s knuckles. I did not figure that out until I went to pick him up and his foot looked like half the size it had been previously. I was sick. The cat was obviously hurting and limped from that point forward for the remainder of his life. I so wish I would have known more then. That I had not just listened to the vet but had asked more questions of the vet. I don’t know if soft claws were out then or not, but anything would have been a better option. The vet sort of had me at “well, is it not better that you keep your kitty and declaw him than having to give him up and he will not be able to get a home with this type of behavior….” Truthfully he was horribly destructive. Yes. He never would use clawing posts, anything we tried, cardboard, etc. He was ripping up walls, my carpet around doors, just everything, the furniture. In spite of everything, I would have figured out something else if I had known more. So….to make a long story short….do NOT please declaw your kitty. Bitty has forgiven me. Yeah, he’s still alive. But I have had to put him on things from that day forward as it is too painful to jump. I’m sorry my Bits.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:44 am

Folks like you need to speak up more, drown out the “Well MINE were declawed and they just LOVE it!” idiots. I’m so sorry he went through that, but at least you know how horrible it is and I hope you never go to that “vet” again. I know it’s hard when you have a determined critter who won’t stop getting into things and tearing things up, but hopefully you’ll never do it again. (And as the former mommy to a Siamese, I know how determined and destructive they can be if you don’t find a way to redirect that energy!)

11. Sherry Nichols

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:51 pm

I have always been against declawing. The more I learn of it the more barbaric it seems.

12. Cat Daddy

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:20 pm

I consider declawing animals and human circumcisions both as barbaric mutilation practices that should be banned unless medically necessary. I would neither declaw a cat nor circumcise a son. Neither should be mutilated.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:54 am

Your ignorance of the anatomy of both humans and felines is adorable.

Removing a piece of skin from the head of the human male penis is not even remotely the same as declawing. From pain level to functionality following the procedure, you are equating two things that are not even remotely the same.

Push your agenda in a less ridiculous manner and more people might take you seriously.

13. Lola

Nov 17, 2016 at 9:23 am

What about dewclaws on a dog? What do you guys think about that?

• Leprkan

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:59 am

We hadn’t planned to but ended up having to have our dog’s dewclaws removed due to medical necessity when she was still a puppy. Her dewclaws dangled and seemed to only be connected by skin, and because of that they would constantly get caught on things (like the carpet, blankets, even themselves). We made the decision to have them removed after she’d caught them together while running after a ball, almost ripped one off, and ended up in immense pain because of it.
      I believe removing them in situations like that is warranted for the well being of the animal. If the dewclaws are not causing any problems I see no reason to remove them, it’s the same with docking ears and tails. There’s never a valid reason for docking ears, but I have known dogs who’s tails were docked after they kept braking them by wagging too hard and thumping into everything (always large breads, Pits, Boxers, Rottweilers). It all comes down to actual medical necessity. If it’s not medically necessary then leave the poor animals intact.

14. Bec

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:06 am

Twenty years ago when I got my first cat, I had him declawed. After declawing several more cats, I did research on declawing. I was uninformed and stupid. I will always regret what I did to them. About 10 years ago I got a kitten who liked to climb my legs with his claws. I refused to get him declawed but I couldn’t break him of climbing up bare legs. What did I do about it? I played with his paws. I touched them and gently squeezed them so his claw would come out. Even with scratching posts and redirecting his attention, his claws were extremely sharp. One day I flipped him onto his back and trimmed his nails while he purred. I never cut them too short; just enough so the tips didn’t feel like needles. I’ve done this with all my cats since. They keep their claws, I don’t get shredded, they can still climb and defend themselves, they aren’t maimed and I have the peace of knowing that they trust me to not harm them.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:56 am

It’s people like you that give me hope for humanity. THANK you for some sanity and cute mental imagery.

15. marvell håkonsen

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:08 am

jeppp dont do that to cat,mabye we can start take the finger of human and do the same to the dog

16. JustRacey

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Ok everyone on here seems to be thinking that declaring is a horrible torturous thing. What do you think about neutering and spaying?? Most vets 9 I went to vet med school myself) prescribe pain relievers post surgery. If it is done WRONG 9taking back just to the nail bed not the 3rd phalanx ealing joint you will not find drooped pasterns, ankle walking and within 3 days your cat will be walking and acting normally. For many people that get cat scratch reactions (also called fever) or a multi cat house hold with a dominant cat it is SAFER for them to be front declared. There isn’t much reason in hind feet declaring as major damage to humans, other cats, and housing is done with the front feet. Also a suture should be used under each Declan site to minimize pain, promote healing, prevent infection and feet bandaged and covered in Vet wrap for 3 days minimum if cat is toilet trained or 5 if using a litter box. I know Many cats properly declared pretend to be scratching on rough fabric. If those toes actually hurt, do you honestly think that they would do that? Also cutting a human finger tips off is NOT ANALOGOUS to a declaration due to the vast differences in nerve receptors in a cats toes compared to a human hand. To be more correct it is like taking the tip of your last 2 toes. Ask anyone who has had frost bite and had them amputated or the crazy women having last toe removed totally so she can fit her foot into designer shoes. I call them crazy because fashion isn’t worth bothering with high heels even!Or let’s compare it to circumcision of baby boys… a whole lot more nerve receptors in the punishment than a toe. Pain is perceived by receptors carrying impulses to the brain.

Foot note: not all vet schools are equal in quality of teaching, nor are the graduates equal in skill. You know what they call a vet student that graduates at the bottom of their class? Dr. …DVD pick your vet as wisely as your pediatrician.

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:05 am

It terrifies me that you’re allowed to operate on living beings with that level of incoherent rambling and faulty reasoning.

17. Karin - Animal Rescuer

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:55 pm

ANYONE OUT THERE that thinks declawing is ok Let me send you a list of some of my clients (I’m a Cat Behaviourist)and others who have contacted me cause they declawed their cat and now the have issues of aggression, peeing outside litterbox, crying etc. THIS is the END RESULT Of declawing for most cats AND CATS HIDE PAIN so NOBODY TELL ME they aren’t in pain – I tell people if its ok to declaw your cat, I say then its OK to cut the tip of their or their kids finger too – I mean REALLY I’m soo happy it has started and hopefully in the next couple of years it will be banned nation wide!

18. wwiz

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:08 am

Taking out the claws of a cat, from what kind of mind did that ever sprout???